Maui may not hold a candle to nightlife hotspots like Las Vegas, Barcelona or Berlin, but chances are you’re not planning a vacation to Hawaii to discover the world’s top DJs or all night raves. While The Valley Isle offers plenty of opportunities for adventure in daylight hours, you have to know where to look to keep the party going after dark.
This month, we’re giving you the ultimate guide to Maui nightlife, from our favorite dive bars to late night happy hour deals, dancing, live music entertainment and more.
Maui After Dark: Local Nightlife Guide
Listen to Live Music
While Maui has no shortage of restaurants and bars with regularly scheduled live music, some of our most recommended Maui establishments include Charley’s Restaurant & Saloon in Paia – keep an eye out for Willie Nelson and Steven Tyler – as well as Wailuku’s Wai Bar, Maui Brewing Co. in Kihei, and Fleetwoods on Front Street, Leilani’s on the Beach and Java Jazz in Lahaina.
See a Show
If the options for live music at Maui’s local watering holes isn’t cutting it for you, browse the concert listings at Maui’s premier venue, the Maui Arts & Cultural Center, where big names and a number of annual festivals pass through for performances at the venue’s indoor and outdoor spaces.
Alternately, the historic Iao Theater hosts a rotating range of fascinating plays, comedy shows, musicals and dance performances, while the long-running ‘Ulalena show offers colorful insight into Hawaii’s rich history and culture during weekly shows at the Maui Theatre in Lahaina.
Hit Up a Local Dive
While we love bougie craft cocktails as much as the next mixologist, dive bars will always have a special place in our hearts. Not only are they an excellent spot to meet and talk story with the locals, but there’s usually a decent amount of people watching, pool playing, dart throwing, karaoke belting, jukebox-jamming and cheap drinks to be enjoyed.
Bust a Move
There’s never a time like vacation to dust off those rusty dance moves! Sign up for an evening line dancing class with Keoni’s Hat Lava DanceFit at the Maui Mall in Lahaina, an intro salsa lesson at Paia’s Heritage Hall on Fridays with Dr. Nat & Rio Ritmo, or swing dance and Argentinian tango classes on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at Sumek Dance in Wailuku.
If you are looking for more of a solo flailing, clubbing kind of dance scene and less of a structured partner dancing scenario, head Upcountry to Casanova for Ladies Night, South Shore Tiki Lounge and Vibe Bar & Nightclub in Kihei, and The Dirty Monkey for late night dancing in Lahaina.
Find a Late Night Happy Hour
While it’s accurate that every hour in Maui is generally happy hour, we’re referring specifically to those oh-so-kind local bars who choose to offer specials on our two favorite things – food and drinks – past 6pm. While new happy hour deals are always popping up, we’ve done our best to compile a list of the current bars on Maui offering late night happy hour deals. Enjoy!
South Maui: Kihei & Wailea
- Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar – 10pm to close Thursday – Sunday; $1 off select draft beers & sake, 50% off sushi & appetizers
- Maui Brewing Co. – 9:30 to 11pm Daily; $1 off draft beers, $3 off craft cocktails, $10 pizzas, 50% off select appetizers
- Cow Pig Bun – 10pm to midnight Monday – Saturday; 20% off entire menu
- Vibe Bar & Nightclub – 6 to 9pm Monday – Saturday + all night Sundays; $1 off all beers, $2 off signature cocktails & select wines, $3 off absinthe, $5 well drinks & daily drink specials
- Haui’s Life’s a Beach – Mondays all day; $1 off well drinks, $2.75 – $4 Bud, Bud Light, Coors Light & Rolling Rock drafts, $3 mai tais & $8 carafes, $4.50 – $6.50 Shocktop & Stella drafts, $5 Crown Royal & Crown Royal Apple shots, $5 Captain Morgan & Naked Turtle Rum
- South Shore Tiki Lounge – 10pm to close Daily; $4 Crown Royal shots & $3 – $5 nightly shot specials
- Three’s Bar & Grill – 9 to 10pm Daily in the Surf Lounge; $3.50 well drinks, draft beers, margaritas & mai tais, $5.75 house wines, $6.50 top shelf margaritas & mai tais, discounted pupus & raw bar sushi rolls
- Maui Thai Bistro – 8:30pm to close Daily; $1 off beers, $2 off cocktails & appetizers, $8 house wines
- Moose McGillycuddy’s – 9pm to close Daily; $5 daily drink specials
- 5 Palms Restaurant – 9 to 10pm Daily; 50% off sushi, $5 select beers, $6.95 well drinks, mai tais & margaritas, $7.50 house wines, $7.95 superior well drinks and select cocktails
- Shearwater Tavern – 10pm to midnight Friday – Saturday; $2 off draft beers & signature craft cocktails, 50% off appetizers, veggies & pizzas
- Lava Rock Bar & Grill – 9 to 11pm Daily; $3 beer special, $4 draft beers & well drinks
- Monkeypod Kitchen – 9 to 11pm Daily; $6 Ocean Vodka cocktails, $7 house wines, $4.75 draft beers, $9.50 craft cocktails, 50% off appetizers and $9 pizzas & 50% off all bottles of sparkling wine on Sundays
- Manoli’s Pizza Company – 9pm to midnight Daily; $2.50 – $3 pizza by the slice, $3 – $8 appetizers, $3.50 – $5 beers, $5 well drinks, $6 wines, margaritas & mai tais
- Mulligans on the Blue (10pm-midnight)
- Grand Wailea Botero Lounge – 5 to 8pm Monday – Friday; $5 Maui Brewing Co. draft beers, $10 select cocktails, $12 select wines & 50% off bottles of wine & champagne from 8 to 10pm
- Luana at Fairmont Kea Lani – 8 to 10pm Daily; $6 Maui Brewing Co. beers, $10 select pupus, $12 select cocktails & desserts, 50% off select wines by the bottle
- Ferraro’s Bar e Ristorante – 8pm to close Daily; 50% off bottles of wine for reservations after 8pm, Kama’aina buy one entree & get the second (equal or lesser value) free with valid Hawaii ID from 5:30 to 9pm
West Maui: Lahaina & Ka’anapali
- Kohola Brewery – 4 to 9pm Monday – Saturday; $6 pints
- Taverna – 9pm to midnight Daily; 20% off all drinks
- Betty’s Beach Cafe – 9 to 10pm Daily except Holidays; $3 margaritas, $4 mai tais & beer of the month, $5 mojitos and $5 – $6 appetizers, $2 champagne on Saturdays & Sundays
- Beach Bum’s BBQ & Grill – 9 to 11pm Daily; $1 off draft beers, $3 PBRs & Primo cans, $4 well drinks, select beers, margaritas & mai tais, $5 Jagermeister, Jameson, Fireball & select appetizers, daily food specials
- Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. – 9pm to close Daily in the bar area only; $3.50 – $5 domestic drafts, $3.75 – $5.50 craft beers, $4 well drinks, $4.50 select wines, $5 – $5.50 specialty cocktails, $5 – $7 pupus
- Westin Ka‘anapali Ocean Resort Pailolo Bar & Grill – 8:30 to 10pm Daily; 25% off select pupus, $4 featured side dishes, $5 mai tais, $5 – $7 draft beers, $6 house wines, $7 drink of the day
Central Maui: Kahului & Wailuku
- Playmakers Sports Bar – 10pm to midnight Daily; drink specials, $10 sliders & fries
- Asian Cuisine & Sushi Bar – 9pm to 2am Daily; 50% off sushi
For a romantic night you’ll really remember, go all out and head Upcountry for an otherworldly guided stargazing tour at the 10,023 foot summit of Haleakala Volcano alongside Jan of Maui Stargazing. After meeting at Kula Lodge, you will witness an amazing sunset and spend at least an hour stargazing through the largest portable telescope on Haleakala! We recommend booking this experience early in your trip, as weather conditions may delay your tour.
If you plan on camping on Maui, Kipahulu campground on a clear night is absolutely stunning, while a quick drive south to La Perouse Bay is another top recommended stargazing spot due to its somewhat remote location and surrounding darkness.
Mahalo for reading our nightlife guide to the best things to do after dark on Maui, and we hope to see you on one of our craft food, beverage and farm tours soon!